Pabna, Feb 18 (V7N) — A 70-year-old farmer has died after being brutally beaten by his cousins and nephews over a dispute involving one and a half bighas of land in Aminpur area of Sujanagar upazila in Pabna.
The deceased was identified as Lokman Sardar, son of late Nasir Uddin Sardar of Gobindpur village under Sagarkandi union. He was allegedly attacked around 11 am on January 24 and succumbed to his injuries on Monday evening while undergoing treatment at PG Hospital in Dhaka.
According to police and family sources, the dispute centered on one and a half bighas of land in Hogladangi Char, where Lokman Sardar had cultivated crops. His cousin Korban Sardar and his sons reportedly claimed ownership of the land, leading to tension between the families.
On January 24, Korban Sardar along with his sons Rafiqul and Shafiqul, and other relatives allegedly went to the land with locally made weapons and a power tiller to forcibly occupy it. They allegedly destroyed the cultivated crops. When Lokman Sardar and his son Sajib tried to resist, they were severely beaten.
Family members rescued the injured and first admitted them to a private hospital in Kashinathpur. As Lokman’s condition deteriorated, he was shifted to Khwaja Yunus Ali Medical College Hospital in Enayetpur and later referred to Dhaka PG Hospital, where he died in the ICU on Monday evening.
Following news of his death, the accused reportedly fled the area and could not be contacted as their mobile phones were found switched off.
In connection with the incident, Lokman’s brother Ramzan Sardar filed a case with Aminpur Police Station on January 26 against eight accused. Police said the earlier fight case will now be converted into a murder case following his death.
Ramzan Sardar claimed that their family had been occupying the land for around 50 years through inheritance and alleged that the accused forcibly tried to grab it by hiring armed men. He demanded immediate arrest and exemplary punishment of those involved.
Officer-in-Charge Mahabur Rahman of Aminpur Police Station confirmed that steps are underway to convert the case into a murder charge. He said the accused are currently on bail and an application has been submitted for cancellation of their bail. Further legal action will proceed after receiving the autopsy report.
END/SRP/RH
Comment: